main_logo_copy.png

­

­

Thread: Wisconsin white deer killed

Wisconsin white deer killed

Wis. shooter takes albino, Leland WIS

US Hunter Legally Shoots Rare White Deer in Wisc. — So Why Are the Locals Calling It a ‘Moral Issue’?

• Posted on November 28, 2012 at 8:52am by Liz Klimas

Although not against the law to shoot the animals, the Baraboo News Republic (via the Wisconsin State Journal) called it a violation of the area’s “informal code.” And although the hunters were out-of-towners, they were reportedly seasonal regulars who should have known better:
    “They’ve been hunting here for years and coming into our bar. They know how we feel,” said Amy Sprecher, owner of Sprecher’s Bar in Leland, about the Fond du Lac hunters who left town Saturday after one of them shot a white deer outside Leland.
    One of the white deer shot this month in Wisconsin. (Image: Channel 3000 screenshot)

Technically, in most parts of the state it would have been illegal to shoot the animals with a genetic defect that results in a primarily white coat, but the News Republic noted this does not apply in chronic wasting disease management zones, which included Leland. Even if it was shot in a restricted zone, the DNR came out to say it’s not a true albino either given a brown spot in its hair and lack of pink facial features.

Another deer that was killed by the hunters. (Image: Channel 3000 screenshot)

Still, DNR Law Enforcement Bureau Assistant Chief Karl Brooks told the News Republic that the killing of white deer is a “social issue” in the area.
    Taking this statement a step further, Leland resident Brandon Yanke told Channel 3000 he considers it a “moral issue.”
    Watch the report:
    http://video.channel3000.com/embed/?v=45798
    Sprecher told the News Republic if the hunters come into her bar in the future, she plans to give them “a piece of my mind.”
    This isn’t the first white deer story to emerge during the 2012 hunting season. TheBlaze reported recently about another with a deformed antler as well that was spotted in Iowa.

HERE.http://www.theblaze.com/stories/hunt...a-moral-issue/
    Last edited by Whitetailworld; 12-13-2012 at 12:49 PM.

well its legal i guess so they did nothing wrong. dont know if i would or wouldnt honestly, its legal here so guess we wil have to see if an old enough one walks by me someday. i thought the best part of the whole story was this comment LMAO man did i laugh when reading it.

Posted on November 28, 2012 at 10:30am
    I fully support our Constitutional 2nd amendment rights..to bear arms..and the right to defend oneself..I detest the killing of animals for sport,for gluttony..or for trophies..this is deplorable..I have recently seen on FB..little kids being taken out deerhunting..shooting their first deer..and holding its head up in a trophy like fashion and getting 30 or so “likes” .I never say anything..but what a deplorable way to raise your child..to kill a creation of God’s for sport and fun.. If the deer were out hunting humans..it would be a different story.. I would find it difficult to be close to anyone with such a cruel heart..
    Kirk Petersen
    WTW Staff & Proud Team Member
    Kirk@whitetailworld.com
    507-383-9887

Some of my friends hunt the land where this buck lived and they were kind of hoping it would have made it throught the year just to see what it would have been next year. They were a little upset that its gone but it is a legal deer and they understand that too.

It would have been hard for me to shoot
    Last edited by droptine20; 11-29-2012 at 10:32 PM.
    Whitetailworld Staff

corey@whitetailworld.com

I find myself having an argument with myself over this one. (Man I call myself some bad names LOL) A few years back I had a piebald here on camera. It was only a yearling and I was hoping it would have made it through at least 1 more year before being taken. But at the same time I think I would have taken it if given the chance. No way was it going to survive to old age in this area anyway. As luck would have it, it was shot by a friend of mine that fall. Over 7 miles away, as the crow flies. In all reality, that deer probably traveled at least 12 miles to get from here to there. Now that I've had the personel encounter with Jaws, there's no way I would shoot him and I'm glad they are protected in WI. But this buck was legal to shoot and not a pure albino, so I'm back to my piebald scenario. Part of me says yeah go ahead and the other part says no don't. Public sentiment isn't law. It might get you kicked out of a bar, but it's not going to get you thrown in jail either. I guess I'll have to back the hunters, as they legally did nothing wrong and the buck is most definately a once in a lifetime type of trophy. But I wouldn't shed a tear if the state decided to make it law to protect all white deer, piebalds and albinos next year.
    Last edited by Blindsniper; 01-30-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    Don't forget to hit the record button!

I would pass but since it is legal here I can't be too hard on the hunter. There have been several bucks around here bigger than that but no one has ever shot them. A few years ago there was a piebald doe with a white face. A local girl shot it and a lot of people were mad about that. She wounded a lot of deer and openly wanted to become a famous hunter she said and thought that deer would boost her status.
    At this time there is a small peibald buck near my home. Way too small for me to shoot but who knows about anyone else. Not a lot of extra white but we are watching to see if it makes it and if things change.

I hunted a ranch that had a pie bald buck in the 140's beautiful deer passed on it 3 times in 2 days but they were incouraging us to shoot it. I probably would've shot the deer above also. if it is legal where do you draw the line. I have a friend who shoots bucks over 160 to 200 all the time he invited another guy up and was mad when he shot a particular deer that my freind didnt want shot. same basic situation. If you like it and its legal not sure he should get cuff for taking it.

Boy, I don't know on this one. It was completely legal so I would say congrats to the hunter but at the same time knowing the area history I'm glad I don't have to make the decision myself!! Down in Ohio we have a piebald doe that showed up this year and we have called her off limits. Can't control what others do on the adjoining properties but sure would like to see what she produces for the next couple of years.
    Love THIS land and pass IT on!!

Quote Originally Posted by MicroBrew View Post
    I hunted a ranch that had a pie bald buck in the 140's beautiful deer passed on it 3 times in 2 days but they were incouraging us to shoot it. I probably would've shot the deer above also. if it is legal where do you draw the line. I have a friend who shoots bucks over 160 to 200 all the time he invited another guy up and was mad when he shot a particular deer that my freind didnt want shot. same basic situation. If you like it and its legal not sure he should get cuff for taking it.
    If I hunt someone else's ground that hunts also I always ask if there are any particular deer they want me to pass on and respectfully do so. I don't shoot small bucks anyways unless its needing taken out of the gene pool. A buddy and I hunt the same ground on a regular basis and get together before the season to look at pictures and agree on what deer need more time, mature enough or need taken out and we respect that. I don't think I could've shot that white deer though even though it was legal. But until someone is put into a position there is no saying what might happen.