Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: My Largest Fish Ever

  1. #1

    My Largest Fish Ever

    I was just recently down to Cabo, MX from Halloween thru Nov 4th. My wife and I earned this free trip from our work from home business with LeVel. In all honesty, it was a hard decision for me if I wanted to go. That week should be prime time rut week up here in MN and WI. Leaving the treestand behind took a bit of thought. Yet at the same time, how do you pass up a free vacation to some place as beautiful as Cabo? I'm extremely happy that I decided to go, as I got to meet countless new people, got to kick back and relax a bit after a beautiful but long harvest season and I was able to spend some time with my wife and in college daughter. (In the fall, it's maybe 5 minutes a day my wife and I see each other) But this is a fishing thread, so I better get on with it!

    I had made the comment to my wife, that while we are down there in Cabo, I'd really like to take a day and go deep sea fishing. I was pretty confident I could find a small group of guys that would like to go out with me, if I put in a bit of effort in asking around. Low and behold I didn't even have to ask. We were eating lunch and my wife overheard a guy talking about going out fishing the next day and that he would ask around to find one more guy to go with. My wife stepped up and actually mentioned that I was hoping to go out and if there was room, she knew I'd love to tag along. The group instantly agreed that they'd love to have me along (without even knowing me or meeting me) and said that I should be in the lobby at 5 am the next morning. As it turned out, most of us were within a few doors of each other in the hotel and didn't even know it.

    The next morning at 5 we met up with our taxi and took the 30 minute drive down to the docks. I'll admit, we were all a little on edge, standing around the docks, in the dark, not knowing who we were supposed to meet up with. lol One guy kept walking back and forth passed us about every 5 minutes and others approached us to buy this or that for our day at sea. As it turned out, everything worked out fine and we were soon heading out, ready for our adventure. First, we had to get live bait. We pulled up to a tiny little boat with two guys standing in it. Their job was to catch the bait and sell to the fishing boats each day. As we pulled up, I saw one of the guys wearing a MN Vikings shirt and I instantly said, "Guys, what are the odds our bait guy is where my teams shirt? This is a great sign and we are going to have an outstanding day!" We all kind of laughed it off and got back to really introducing ourselves for the first time. Next thing we know, the 8 hour tour commenced.

    We drove out for about 30 minutes to the west and then started trolling 5 lines of giant plugs. The captain had asked what we wanted to fish for and we said Mahi Mahi, tuna and of course bill fish. Whether it was marlin or sailfish didn't really matter to us. We just wanted a chance to catch one. The captain made the decision that we should try for the Mahi Mahi (aka Dorado, Dolphin) first. We were good with that and rolled with his experience and knowledge of the area. It didn't take but a few minutes and we had the first Mahi Mahi on. Within seconds we had another on and were fighting a double! I was the guest, so I sat back and filmed the battles and let the other guys have first crack. We landed one and the other threw the lure at the boat. That fish was big! 10 minutes later we had our next hook up with another Mahi Mahi and again had a second plug get hit and hooked up. This time around I was on the reel and brought in a Mahi Mahi, while the other guy had hooked into a tuna. The captain and deckhand (first mate) told us that doubles are not that common and we are a lucky group of guys. Who were we to argue 20 minutes later we had 3 more fish hooked up and landed and we made the call to head deeper in search of tuna or bill fish. 10 minutes later the next guy reels in a nice tuna. Now it's my turn. We are headed for some large tuna boats about 4 to 5 miles off shore. We've only gone about a mile and I hear the Captain yell something in Spanish. The first mate runs passed me and grabs a live bait rig and throws it out between the plugs. He turns to me and says "marlin, get in the chair". It didn't take but a few seconds for that marlin to find that live bait rig and hit it. How the first mate fed that fish and played that fish was something I haven't seen before. There wasn't really a hook set or anything. He just handed me the rod and said to reel. As soon as I did, I experienced power like I've never felt before in a fish. The first mate was running all over the boat reeling in the other rods as quickly as he could. It was a near circus with him doing what he was doing and my guys cheering and yelling with excitement to see this fish. It didn't take long and the marlin gave us its first of many aerial displays. Jumping and tail walking over and over again. Peeling line off my reel like it wasn't even there. With each and every jump the guys got louder and louder and the excitement level just seemed to get more and more ramped up.

    The first 5 minutes of the fight the fish won. He had peeled off probably 150 to 200 yards of line in his battle with me. But now I was starting to win some of that back. SLOWLY It probably took 10 minutes to get back what the fish had taken, but I could tell it was starting to tire. The marlin wasn't going to give up with out a fight though, as it continued alternating between high jumps and deep dives. My job was to take up some line between each of those. Inch by inch, crank by crank we made progress and finally had the fish within 30 feet of the boat. The first mate, then asked me what my intentions were for the fish. I said, pictures and release. He asked again, just to make sure and then settled in to make that happen. Everyone on board was perfectly happy with that plan. It was about this time, we realized I was fighting a Stripped Marlin and not a small blue or black. The vibrant colors and markings of this fish was truly a beautiful sight! Blues, greens, purples, golds, silvers, yellows all glowing and seemingly iridescent in nature. The next thing I know, the fish had made its way across the width of the ship and the first mate was reaching overboard, hand grabbing and hauling in my battle mate. Cheers irrupted, high fives went around and we finally got to see the fish in all of its glory.

    The first mate and captain both worked quickly to remove the hook and get the fish under control for pictures. But the fish would not cooperate with the second part of the equation. It was still planning on fighting them, even though it was out of the water. We were trying to get things set up for pictures, when we all noticed that the fish went instantly still and lost nearly all of its color. What was once vibrant, was now dull. The bright colors were now replaced with grays and blacks. When that happened we all knew the chance for release was over. All of this happened within a minute. We don't know why the fish died so quickly. It just did. All of us talked it over and came to the same conclusion. If there was little chance that the fish would survive a release, we would keep the fish and not let it go to waste. So that's what we did. I'll admit, killing that fish did take a bit of the joy out of it. I've been wanting a marlin for nearly 12 years, but I've never had any intention of taking one home. It was the hunt and fight I wanted, not the meat or its death. But as we all know. Sometimes Mother Nature, doesn't allow us to make those types of decisions.

    The rest of the day was spent chasing and catching tuna, while always searching for another bill fish for the other guys. We did come across a sail fish, but couldn't get hooked up with it, even though it was striking the bait with it's bill. The tuna boats kept cutting us off after we'd find giant schools of tuna. It got a bit frustrating, but they were out there making a living, while we were out there just to have some fun. We did come across a either a giant shark or a dolphin as it laid riding a wave. I could only see it for a few seconds at a time as it rode up and down on the face of the wave as we passed. As far as fishing goes, the last 1 1/2 was spent in search of Wahoo, but we didn't find any.

    As cool as that fishing day was, our trip back into the harbor had one last treat for us. A sea lion jumped up on the back of our boat and let us feed him our left over bait fish. This didn't go like we dictated, it went as he dictated. If he didn't like the fish we gave him, he'd put it back in the live well and sit there until we figured out which one he wanted. He did this several times, until he got the fish of his choice lol He ate a couple of the bait fish and then dove off the boat and back into the ocean.

    I know this was long, but I hope you at least found it entertaining on some level. If and when we are sent back to Cabo again, you can bet I'll be back out there trying to relive what this day gave me!

    Here are some pics

    My Marlin

    Name:  12191666_10207500895778820_2110545474975052059_n.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  58.8 KBName:  12196122_10207500895858822_8888151203518484490_n.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  61.3 KB

    The Mahi Mahi and Tuna

    Name:  Cabo Mahi Mahi 11-15.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  37.1 KBName:  Cabo Tuna 11-15.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  47.0 KBName:  Mahi Mahi 1 11-15.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  55.8 KB
    Don't forget to hit the record button!

  2. #2
    Thought I'd share with you our encounter with the sea lion. He was one picky critter

    Don't forget to hit the record button!

  3. #3
    I enjoyed it all! Great Story, Pictures and video!! Thank you for sharing your experience and Congrats on the Marlin Derek!!

  4. #4
    Great story and pictures. I really bet your glad u went, congrats on the Marlin also.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts