main_logo_copy.png

Thread: how are things looking?

how are things looking?

well, i missed my chance to get some conventional plots in so im getting ready to tear up some dirt the next few weeks here. gunna go with some winter peas, radishes, turmips and sugar beats, maybe throw a little rape in there as well. hoping the peas bring em in quicker and i can have some early season success for a change.

anyone have any plot pictures too throw up?
    Kirk Petersen
    WTW Staff & Proud Team Member
    Kirk@whitetailworld.com
    507-383-9887

Thank God for this last rain! I did a corn/soybean mixed plot this year and the corn was getting curled up pretty bad. The soybean looked good though. Just got the alfalfa and the clover cut and baled last week. So again, perfect time with the rains to get some good new growth coming back.

I'd say your mix should be a good one. I had good luck the first year I planted the winter peas in my plot.
    Don't forget to hit the record button!

The weeds have me in a stir right now. I sprayed Roundup and left the 2 acres I sprayed for 3 weeks. The rain and heat we have had got the weeds growing again. I thought maybe me disking would cut the weeds down far enough to get my turnips and beans I planted a week ago Friday a chance to grow. I checked the food plot today and I have weeds. I pulled weeds a cussed for 2 hours. Now that I have calmed down a bit I have decided to see what happens over the next couple weeks. I still have time to start over....

Round Up and weed control is becoming a huge issue. Several broadleaf weed varieties have developed a resistance to RoundUp/glyphosate over the last decade. Even though every acre of my farm is planted to a RoundUp Ready variety of corn or soybean, I don't/can't use RoundUp as broadleaf weed control product. I might as well go out and spray the weeds with water (I'll kill just as many). I've had to resort to going with other conventional corn/soybean herbicides the last few years. It's been extremely frustrating, as we are paying a premium for the RR trait that's bred into the plant. RU will still control all grasses extremely well, but don't count on it doing anything with your broadleaf weeds. With this new resistance to RU becoming wide spread, food plots will become much harder to manage going forward. Supposedly, there is a new herbicide resistant type of soybeans coming out in the next year or two. It will help, but it's also going to be tougher for people to get. AND the seed will become more expensive to purchase.
    Don't forget to hit the record button!