main_logo_copy.png shop the store_1.png like_us_on_fb.png

Thread: Deer & Deer Hunting Rut Predictions

Question Deer & Deer Hunting Rut Predictions

Has anyone read the Rut predictions for this season in the latest Deer & Deer Hunting magazine? I just glanced over it last night and man there is some data collected that makes me really think. I highly suggest reading it. Overall scoop I gathered in my short time reading it. Total Rut will be a slow Trickle and peak breeding will be later, but good times are End of October and mid November. I want to say if you had one week to hunt they suggested hunting November 14-21. These time periods are for the North. I did not read the predicitons for the South.

Anyone else catch this article?
    Last edited by Shooter; 09-18-2013 at 09:16 AM.
    Rob Stenger (AKA: Shooter)
    WTW Staff & WTW Team Member
    rob@whitetailworld.com

Gamehide Pro Staff - www.gamehide.com
    Time to Reflect, Game Plan and Think

From memory I think you are correct Shooter...I will try to post up a copy of that article...

It seems to me on the property I hunt that anytime between the last week of october until opening day of gun is when we see most of the bigger buck movement on that property. Yes this is a long period of time to hunt and try to have off work for but there is usually someone hunting the 300 acres everyday and we try to write down what we saw each day. From past years most of our activity is from Nov 5-13.
    "CHASE THE DREAM"
    2009 Mathews Monster
    340 Easton Axis N-fused Arrows
    100 grain 2 Bladed Chisled Tip Rage

Hunting from public to private. The rut on public in Indiana always starts a week to two weeks earlier then private. Just depends on the moon and the weather. Always really kicks in on public about last two to one week of October to first week of November. Then private starts up around first to second week of November. Been on public and private quit of bit this year. I have seen rub and scrapes just practice scrapes and velvet rubs but seen a few pretty good ones already. But nothing on private yet so.

I hunt just south of LaCrosse, WI and year in and year out that first week of November has always been the best. I typically use my vacation time on several fridays throughout the fall to do long weekend hunts. This year I am planning to take a week off the first part of November to hit the rut hard. Like outback11 I started a hunting log to document the activity we are seeing each time we are out.
    Mathews Z7 (LH)
    Rip Cord Rest
    HHA 1pin adjustable sight
    Carbon Express 250
    100 grain Thunderheads

Quote Originally Posted by forrestmatthews View Post
    Hunting from public to private. The rut on public in Indiana always starts a week to two weeks earlier then private. Just depends on the moon and the weather. Always really kicks in on public about last two to one week of October to first week of November. Then private starts up around first to second week of November. Been on public and private quit of bit this year. I have seen rub and scrapes just practice scrapes and velvet rubs but seen a few pretty good ones already. But nothing on private yet so.
    we need a "scratching my head icon".
    i just can't figger that out

around here, the hottest rutting action is from about nov.3-11th. if i could only hunt 3 days a year, it would be 6-7-8th. 12-20 can be a dead sea for deer movement in general. year in year out regardless of moon phase. hot weather and gun hunting pressure can (will) put thinks in a funk real quick.

the biggest bucks of the year are usually seen from nov 25-dec1
    Last edited by the bearhunter; 09-20-2013 at 10:42 AM.
    lots of people have all the toys but no time for memories.
    i'll take the memories

I like the first and secind week of November. I always take those two weeks off even if I have no vacation time lol. Time off without pay in the woods!