main_logo_copy.png

Recent Blogs Posts

1. A change of pace

The North Dakota gun season opens today. For the first time in my life I have no tags. However two of my kids do. I will be their camera man and coach. I'm not very optimistic that they will see many deer. Deer sightings have been nearly non-existent this year. Things have picked up a bit lately but still no bigger bucks. That can change in a hurry though. With the doe sightings that I have seen lately I know it's only a matter of time before a decent buck shows up. Minnesota also fires up tomorrow ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. The Causes Of Dark Antlers

There are six factors that are responsible for " chocolate " antlers.

1. Buck age. The older more dominant bucks make many more rubs on trees than younger bucks, therefore their antlers tend to be darker.

2. Bark colouration of the predominant rubbing trees in the region, ie pine tree sap.

3. Genetics. Some strains of bucks have light coloured racks in their DNA while others have dark.

4. Time of ...

Updated 09-09-2013 at 08:34 PM by trachntr

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. The Early Season Ten Point Buck

It all started in January of 2006 in Southern Ontario when I began scouting a new hunting area of 200 plus acres of public forest land. This area provided the ideal habitat for deer to thrive with lots of dense cover including hardwoods, cedars, hemlocks, pine reforestation areas, oak flats, swamps, wild apple orchards, creeks and ponds. It was easy to map the deer travel patterns with a foot of snow on the ground and logging trails throughout the property.This public land tract was bordered by ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. New Arrows

I have been shooting Carbon Express Maxima Hunters for a few years now but this year I bought some of their new Reds. I am very impressed with these shafts.

I also bought a new Mathews Creed and this combo is outstanding. The Reds fly the same field point or broadhead. No special tuning when switching. I shot them at 30 yards and needed to adjust my sight since they hit lower than my Maxima Hunters but after that I was spot on. In the past I would have to adjust the sight for hunting ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Game time

The day is finally here, opening day of the ND bow season. This past week could not of gone any slower. Sleepless nights with the anticipation of getting back in a tree and seeing that first velvet buck are all part of the excitement. The only thing that has kept me a little at bay is the extreme heat that we've had. Highs in the upper 90's humidity numbers that closely match the temperature make it tough to do anything outside. Not really any different than any other bow opener and something you ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast